- Advertisement -spot_img
28.2 C
Lagos
HomeSportsManUtd Greenwood faces three count charges of attempted rape ~ police

ManUtd Greenwood faces three count charges of attempted rape ~ police

- Advertisement -spot_img

Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood has been charged with attempted rape, police confirmed on Saturday.

Greenwood, 21, has also been charged with controlling and coercive behaviour and assault. He is due to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court on Monday.

The deputy Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS North West, Janet Potter said on Saturday: “The Crown Prosecution Service has today authorised Greater Manchester Police to charge Mason Greenwood, 21, with attempted rape, engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. All three counts relate to the same complainant.

“Specialist rape prosecutors from CPS North West’s complex casework unit authorised the charges following a review of a file of evidence received from Greater Manchester Police.”

Greenwood was initially arrested in January following allegations made in a series of online posts.

The Premier League club released a statement on Saturday which read: “Manchester United notes that criminal charges have been brought against Mason Greenwood by the Crown Prosecution Service. He remains suspended by the club, pending the outcome of the judicial process.”

READ ALSO: About 300 communities partially submerged by flood, 700,000 people displaced in Bayelsa ~Authority

A statement issued by Greater Manchester Police on Saturday read: “GMP has charged and remanded a 21-year-old man with controlling and coercive behaviour, attempted rape and Section 47 assault of a woman.

“Mason Greenwood, of Bowdon will appear at Manchester & Salford Magistrates Court on Monday, Oct. 17 2022. He was arrested in the Trafford area earlier today [Saturday].”

Potter added: “The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has a right to a fair trial.”

Nike had following the arrest of the player said it’s no longer sponsoring the player on police bail after being questioned on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman.

The sportswear firm initially suspended its deal with Greenwood after his arrest last week, saying it was “deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations.”

Nike announced on Monday that “Mason Greenwood is no longer a Nike athlete.”

United has said the 20-year-old England forward will not be playing or practising with the club until further notice.

Greater Manchester Police said Wednesday that Greenwood was “released on bail pending further investigation.”

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
Stay Connected
16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe
Must Read
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img