The Zamfara State Government on Tuesday announced the release of hundreds of schoolgirls abducted last week from the Government Girls Junior Secondary School in Jangebe.
Governor Bello Matawalle said about 279 girls have been freed by their captors. The government last week said 317 had been kidnapped.
Gunmen abducted the girls last week in the latest in a series of mass kidnappings of students in the northern part of the country.
The freed girls have been relocated to the government house and they were seen by witnesses dressed in light blue hijabs and barefoot sitting at the state Government House office in Gusau.
After the meeting, the girls were escorted outside by officials and lined up to be taken away in vans. They appeared calm and ranged in ages from 10 and up.
Matawalle said they would be taken for medical examinations before being reunited with their families.
“Alhamdulillah! (God be praised!) It gladdens my heart to announce the release of the abducted students of GGSS Jangebe from captivity.
“This follows the scaling of several hurdles laid against our efforts. I enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians to rejoice with us as our daughters are now safe,” Matawalle said in a post on Twitter early Tuesday.
The governor, who received the girls at about 5am on Tuesday in Gusau, said the girls were returned safely without paying any ransom.
“This is the result of our peace effort and putting to shame all those saying there is no security in this country.
“We have been in discussion since Friday with the abductors and reached agreement on Monday by 4pm that the girls were released.
“We are happy that all 279 have safely returned, they will undergo medical checks and given balanced diets to recuperate by the state government before they are handed back to their respective families.
“I want to appeal to parents not to remove their children from school as a result of this, we will ensure additional security in all the schools.
At the time of the abduction, residents said the gunmen also attacked a nearby military camp and checkpoint, preventing soldiers from responding to the mass abduction at the school.
“We were sleeping at night when suddenly we started hearing gunshots. They were shooting endlessly. We got out of our beds and people said we should run, that they are thieves,” she said. “Everybody fled and there were just two of us left in the room.”
The attackers held guns to the girls’ heads, she said.
“I was really afraid of being shot,” she said, adding that they asked for directions to the staff quarters and the principal. “We said we don’t know who she is. They said the principal is our father and they will teach us a lesson.”
President Muhammadu Buhari expressed “overwhelming joy” over the release of the girls.
“I join the families and people of Zamfara State in welcoming and celebrating the release of these traumatized female students,” he said in a statement.
“Being held in captivity is an agonizing experience not only for the victims, but also their families and all of us.”
The president called for greater vigilance to prevent bandits from carrying out such attacks.
He urged police and military to pursue the kidnappers, and warned that policies of making payments to bandits will backfire.
“Ransom payments will continue to prosper kidnapping,” he said.
Nigeria has seen several such attacks and kidnappings in recent years. On Saturday, 24 students, six staff and eight relatives were released after being abducted on February 17 from the Government Science College Kagara in Niger state.
In December, more than 300 schoolboys from a secondary school in Kankara, in Kastina State were abducted and later released. The government has said no ransom was paid for the students’ release.
The most notorious kidnapping was in April 2014, when 276 girls were abducted by the jihadist rebels of Boko Haram from the secondary school in Chibok in Borno State.
More than 100 of those girls are still missing. Boko Haram is opposed to western education and its fighters often target schools.