CHURCH BUSINESS: The father’s love
By Oludare Mayowa
Last Sunday, the whole world rolled out the drum to celebrate fathers in a unique way. Father’s day was a significant day that the world set aside to celebrate the significance of fathers in both society and the home.
Many of us sure remember our father with fond memories? Why is it so, because there is something about the love of fathers towards their children that separates them from other kinds of love.
This is, however, not to diminish the role of some fathers who are irresponsible and not worth more than being described as spam donors.
No matter how you feel about your own father, the absence of a father figure in many homes have led to the ruin of the children and create a great vacuum in many home and caused strains in the society as a whole.
But in all of these, Jesus is the epitome of the father’s love, God first loved us and He gave us Jesus to show us how to love. John 3:16
There is something unique and special about the love of Christ, the Bible says even while we are yet sinners, He died for the ungodly. Romans 5:8
Love qualifies us, we are not deserving of His love because we were separated from him by our sins, yet He chose to love us, and adopt us as his own. Romans 8:15
“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God!” (1 John 3:1)
“And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. This hope will not disappoint us, because God’s love has been …” Romans 5:5
Christ kind of love
Love one another 1John 3:11, 1John 5:7-8,
Walk in the light of the gospel.1John 1-7,
His death on the cross underscore His great love towards us
We should be indebted to Him and live for Him alone
His very nature is love. God is love and so we should take His form and image likewise.
The imports of God’s love
1. To make us His own alone. When a man loves a woman, he does not want to share her with any other man – it’s the same with God; we are like Christ’s bride
2. As a man wants his bride to be upright, live right, reciprocate his love, care for him, so also Christ who has done all for us wants us to be upright, reciprocate His love and be His own.
3. God has a plan for us. I love my wife and family so much, that each day I think of how to make their lives more glorious. I buy books, show movies, write notes, pamper them with gift within the limit of my resources and many more and any other thing that will make them fulfill my purpose and desire for them. It’s the same way with God to his bride, His church.
4. God wants us to be like Him, we were created in His image and after His likeness, but disobedience makes us look like sons and daughters of evil. Thank God for the love of Christ that restored us back to our lost place. Eph 5:1-2
5. The will of God for us is that we have dominion over all things He created, but we can’t have that dominion in sin, we can’t have such dominion if we failed to measure up to His standard. We lost dominion in the garden as a result of disobedience and we can only gain dominion by obedience.
6. It’s only a glorious church (God’s people) who can confront Satan, as mere men full of spots and blemish, we have no power to face the enemy. So His love preserves us to take on the devil through the sanctification by the blood He shed for the remission of our sins.
How does His love translate us to His glorious church
This was the beginning of God’s creation. He created us to be like Him, To take on His image, form, and likeness, a people without spot or blemish. His love compels him to chose us above all His creation, even though animals and plants were created first before man, we are created with the same character as God.
“How did God create man? He created man in His own image. God wanted a man like Himself. It is very evident then that man’s position in God’s creation is entirely unique, for among all of God’s creatures man alone was created in God’s image. The man that God’s heart was set upon was completely different from all other created beings; he was a man in His own image.”- Watchman Née
For you to remain in His love, you must:
1. Love the brethren John 15:12-13
2. Stay away from iniquities 2 Tim 2:20-23
3. Obey his word always Ex 19:5
4. Let His word dwell richly in us Col 3:16
5. Let His light shine through you to the world.
As we focus on Him, to please Him, we shall become His glorious (delightful, excellent, great) church, ready for His second coming.
Prayer: Lord help me to remain in your love always
Give me the power to obey your word
Help me to stay focus on your way