- Advertisement -spot_img
28.2 C
Lagos
HomePoliticsArmy and Navy responsible for oil theft in Niger Delta, says Asari...

Army and Navy responsible for oil theft in Niger Delta, says Asari Dokubo

- Advertisement -spot_img

The military is at the center of oil theft, and we have to make this very clear to the Nigerian public that 99 percent of oil theft can be traced to the Nigerian military, the Army, and the Navy, especially,” according to ex-militant, Asari Dokubo.

Dokubo, who was on a courtesy visit to the presidential villa in Abuja on Friday to see President Bola Tinubu told State House, correspondents said oil theft and security formed his nearly two-hour discussion with the president.

He promised to work with the Nigerian government to stop oil theft in the Niger Delta, noting that the Tinubu-led administration would “fish out” the culpable elements in the military.

He said, “Myself and my brothers have assured the President that there will be zero oil theft and vandalism in the Niger Delta.

“We’re going to walk with an NPPCL and the IOCs to make sure that oil tapped is brought to zero.”

“My visit to the State House is just to come and say hello to my father,” Dokubo told newsmen, referring to Tinubu as his father.

“I congratulated him before this time, but I also came to give him a word of support for what he has achieved and what he has done so far.

“I know that Nigeria has changed for the better under President Tinubu; the country has turned 360 degrees in a positive direction.

“When I am speaking about the president, I am speaking from a personal point of view. I can do everything to make my “father” succeed.

READ ALSO: President Tinubu’s govt to target exchange rate of N500-N600, fx reserves of $50-$60 bln ~Advisers

“That is a promise I have given to myself and also a promise I have given to him.

“Oil theft will be stopped; I promise that there will be zero oil theft in the Niger Delta,” Dokubo said in the video posted on the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (ABAT) Media Centre.

Dokubo has also allegedly volunteered to use his connection to assist and do what is necessary to halt oil theft.

He stated that the president has promised to investigate allegations of huge oil bunkering by notorious naval commanders who are kingpins and to take decisive action to halt the shameful act.

The former militant leader argued that ordinary Niger Delta citizens, who are often blamed for oil theft, are not responsible, as they do not have the wherewithal to perform such sophisticated acts.

According to him, the manner in which the oil thieves have gone about their criminal activities has stripped the people of their livelihood.

On security, he faulted the narrative that the military was underequipped to take on terrorism, banditry, and militancy head-on, describing it as “blackmail.”

“The blackmail of the Nigerian state by the Nigerian military is shameful. They said they do not have enough weapons, and people listen to these false narratives. So this blackmail must end. They have enough resources to fight.”

Tinubu had last week reiterated his promise to halt crude oil theft in the country.

In his recent meeting with security chiefs in the country, the president said he wouldn’t tolerate oil theft.

Charging leaders of all security agencies, Tinubu, who said he is going to embark on a lot of reforms in terms of our security architecture, also noted that he would be looking closely into Nigeria’s misfortunes in the maritime domain, focusing particularly on the issues of oil theft.

Tinubu also emphasized the need for coordinated efforts to combat terrorism, insurgency, banditry, oil theft, sea robbery, piracy, and other security issues that threaten the nation’s peace.

(omayowa@globalfinancialdigest.com; Newsroom: +234 8033 964 138)

 

 

 

 

 

Join Our Mailing List!

* indicates required
- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img
Must Read
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img